Search This Blog

Thursday, January 7, 2010

OBIEE Dashboard Max Before Menu

We had a requirement where we wanted to group the dashboards that were built based out of the same business area and show a dashboard menu like structure. I have seen that in the OOTB(Out of the Box Analytics applications) version but I tried to replicate that in my stand alone local OBIEE server and I couldn't do it and then I was told there needs to be a configuration change in the Presentation Services Configuration file(instanceconfig.xml). The default dashboards required to max out before they turn to a menu is 15, so we can't  see a menu even though the dashboards are built off of the same shared folder/same business area until we create 16 dashboards. So we need to change the instanceconfig.xml available in InstallDir\OracleBIData\web\config and add the following line in the server instance part.















Once we add the line shown above in instanceconfig.xml, we have to follow the regular dashboard creation process from the same shared folder.



















As shown above in the last dashboard display the dashboards ABCD, ABDE and BCDE are grouped as part of the Business Area ABC folder and the names of these dashboards are arranged alphabetically in a menu(folder like structure). So if we need to show ABDE ahead of ABCD,we have to rename them using 01 ABDE, 02 ABCD and 03 BCDE based on your requirement and shown in the example below.







I tried to search dashboard menu on various OBIEE blogs and I couldn't find related stuff, that's the only reason I wanted to post this.